[Windows] - Install Windows PowerShell on Windows 7

Install Windows PowerShell on Windows 7

Hey, Scripting Guy! QuestionHey, Scripting Guy! How do I download Windows PowerShell 2.0 to my new Windows 7 computer? I went to the Microsoft Download page for Windows PowerShell, but I was unable to find a version for Windows 7—surely, you all did not forget to make a version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 for your latest and greatest operating system!
-- TW

Hey, Scripting Guy! AnswerHello TW, Microsoft Scripting Guy Ed Wilson is here to help save the day. You do not have to download Windows PowerShell 2.0 if you have Windows 7 because it is already installed.

NOTE: For information on how to install Windows PowerShell 3.0 on Windows 7, see this Hey Scripting Guy blog article: Install PowerShell 3 on Windows 7.
Unfortunately, it is kind of hidden. To launch Windows PowerShell, you can use the Search Programs and Files dialog box. All that you have to do is type the word PowerShell and press Enter. The Windows PowerShell console will launch. This is seen in the following figure.
 
If you do not trust the search box (or simply prefer to mouse around) the Windows PowerShell shortcuts are housed in Start / All Programs / Accessories / Windows PowerShell. This is seen in the following figure.
 
Personally, I think both of those solutions are too difficult, and I create a shortcut on the task bar. I do this for both the Windows PowerShell console application and the Windows PowerShell ISE (Integrated Script Editor). To create the shortcut I drag both the Windows PowerShell icon and the Windows PowerShell ISE icon with the right mouse button to the desktop. When I let go, a task list appears that asks whether I want to copy, move or create a shortcut. I select create the shortcut, and then drag the shortcut to the task bar with my right mouse button. As I hover over the taskbar, I am prompted if I want to pin to the task bar (of course, I say yes). For information about how to install Windows PowerShell on Windows XP, see the Scripting WifeGets Started with Windows PowerShell post. For information about how to configure the Windows PowerShell shortcuts, and getting started using Windows PowerShell cmdlets, see the Scripting Wife Eases into Windows PowerShell cmdlets post. Generally, the best way to start using Windows PowerShell is to read through the Scripting Wife posts, and to complete the 2010 Scripting Games beginner events. The Scripting Wife goes through the process of learning the basics of Windows PowerShell in order to compete in the 2010 Scripting Games, and her experience is particularly valuable for beginning users.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[SVN] Simple way to do code review

How to Choose a Technology Stack for Web Application Development

Setting ESLint on a React Typescript project